Re: OT:CHAT: Millennium Celebration

From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>

Jeff and Carolyn Walters wrote:
> Prior to the beginning of the present century, Britain's Astronomer Royal
> decreed that 1900 was the 100th year of the 19th Century and that the 20th
> Century began on January 1, 1901 (which is quite correct, technically
> speaking). No one in this country paid much attention to him. I read in an
> article earlier this year that his successor issued the same decree
> regarding the millenium, but that no one, even in Britain, is paying much
> attention this time around.

Arthur C. Clarke did, or his book would not have been titled 2001.

But he lives in Sri Lanka, so maybe he doesn't count in this regard.

Gerry, looking forward to a great Mesmerizer display in a couple weeks
mailto:gcsnyd@loop.com    AIS Region 15
Warm, winterless Los Angeles
President of San Fernando Valley Iris Society