OT-BIO-Gene Buhrmester

Having recently retired and being quite interested in gardening, I would like to learn more about growing irises.  My interest in irises began about 25 years ago when a dear friend gave me starts of his beautiful hybrid irises.  I now have many; but in recent years they have developed a number of ailments that I do not know how to effectively control.  Last spring when they began growing, I noticed a substantial number of slugs chewing on the leaves.  The leaves became striped with brown and many eventually died.  I tried spraying Sevin and removing the dead or dying leaves.  Also tried a fungicide but this may not have been timely.  The blooms were fewer than normal.  This fall I cleaned out all of the dead foliage and soaked the ground with a spray of Sevin and fungicide.
Any good ideas regarding control of iris insects and diseases would be helpful.  What I have been doing has not been adequate to date.