Re: CULT: Bloom Out/Increase from the Bloomstalk

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

Bill Shear:
>How does cutting versus snapping affect the presence of increase on
>the bloomstalk?  In either case the bloomstalk is gone.  Or are we
>talking about the same thing?

My efforts at snapping off bloom stalks often result in the heel of the
mother rhizome being snapped off. This heel section often has 2 or more
tiny increases forming. I'm sure if I had cut the bloom stalk at a
higher point, these increses would continue to grow. I have tried
replanting the heel section (in pots) but only with little success.

While on the subject of bloom stalks, I reported a while back, that a
new SDB had a squashed flower hidden inside the fan. I was worried that
I would lose this plant to bloomout, but the original fan has continued
to produce new leaves, as if the tiny little bloom stalk it produced was
insufficient to 'finish off' that rz. Thought others might find this
interesting.

Cheers, Jan Clark, in Australia, where Witching is continuing to put up
new bloomstalks. Pity I don't actually like the flower!