OT: Back to the year 2000.

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

Dianne writes:
>I also have been reading with interest the millennium thing. I was
>born on January 1, 1950. Now I'm not fussed at all whether I have to
>celebrate twice. The beginning of my 50th year or the beginning of my
>51st year but over the years the celebrations have always been for my
>30th then 40th and will also be for my 50th on January the 1st 2000.

When you celebrate your 50th birthday on the 1/1/2000 you will be
celebrating the END of your 50th year, not the beginning. That is the
difference between AD years, and age years.
I think it is the Maths that both confounds and fascinates people.
Remember the feeling you had as a child when you first counted to 1000?
Or, closer to home, remember when you purchased your 100th iris plant.
It's the clicking over from 1 to 2 that we are celebrating. For a
thousand years, we've been writing 1's (well not me personally) and now
we get to put 2's.
It's a very primitive thing. Time is, after all, only relative. It's not
as if we are celebrating 2000 years of human life on this planet, or
even for that matter, 2000 years since the birth of Christ.
It's a simple little number 2 that we are getting all excited about.
Such a pity that many of the computer users amongst us will suffer only
pain and hardship when this little 2 clicks over.
I think a Wake at the end of the year 2000 would be most appropriate, to
mourn the passing of a good Century.
Just my thoughts, sorry to burden you with them, Cheers, Jan