Re: Snapping vrs cutting bloomstalks

From: "Chris Hollinshead" <cris@netcom.ca>

I have snapped off the old iris bloomstalks for the last 4 or 5 years and
never had a problem with damaging the rhizome in the slightest. Once the
technique of doing this is acquired it is much faster than cutting and the
stalks break off very cleanly right at the junction of the stalk and the top
of the rhizome. The key is in the technique... grasp the stalk firmly, right
down close to the junction and give it a quick bend to the side and off it
comes! Most come off very easily but occasionally there is a stubborn one or
two...

Christopher Hollinshead
Mississauga, Ontario  Canada  zone6b
AIS(Region 16), CIS, SSI