Re: CULT: Bloom Out/Increase from the Bloomstalk

From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>

Jan Clark wrote:
> From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>
> Bill Shear:
> >How does cutting versus snapping affect the presence of increase on
> >the bloomstalk?  In either case the bloomstalk is gone.  Or are we
> >talking about the same thing?
> My efforts at snapping off bloom stalks often result in the heel of the
> mother rhizome being snapped off. This heel section often has 2 or more
> tiny increases forming.

The reason given for snapping rather than cutting, as I remember it, is that
snapping, at least if done at the proper time, severs the stalk at the weakest
point where it is already dying. Cutting is more likely to sever it at a place
where where it is more succeptible to rot.

I'm not saying that it's true, just that it's what I've been told.
mailto:gcsnyd@loop.com    AIS Region 15
Warm, winterless Los Angeles
President of San Fernando Valley Iris Society