Re: CULT: Bloom Out/Increase from the Bloomstalk

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

Gerry Snyder wrote:
> The reason given for snapping rather than cutting, as I remember it, is that
> snapping, at least if done at the proper time, severs the stalk at the weakest
> point where it is already dying. Cutting is more likely to sever it at a place
> where where it is more succeptible to rot.

I seem to remember that part of the reason was that snapping the bloomstalk
off broke the stem at cell boundaries as opposed to cutting through cells.
Thus the break was less susceptible to invasion by bacteria and rot.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Visit my website at:

To reply to me personally click on
Fremont, California, USA