Re: Snapping vrs cutting bloomstalks

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

Then Vicki wrote:
>I agree with Chris. We have been snapping off the stalks for many, many
years. If your rhizomes are firmly rooted you shouldn't have a problem.
However, should they be poorly rooted or in very 'soft' soil you may end
up pulling off more than just the stalk.

You've hit the nail on the head Vicki. Our soil is very light. Sometimes
the whole mother rz comes away in my hand.  4 rz's of WITCHES SABBATH
and a couple of MARAUDER rz's fell over with the wind, and were left
with their roots pointing skywards! I find they actually hold in the
ground better if I use Walters method of potting them first, and
planting them out when they show roots through the bottom of the pot.
I wonder if Walters soil is light like mine?
Cheers, Jan clark, in Australia, where a thoroughly good thunder storm
and some of that wet stuff would be most welcome. (They're getting it
down south towards Melbourne)