Re: CULT: TB: Freeze and Aphids

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 1/4/1999 9:39:27 PM Central Standard Time,
z88keys@mindspring.com writes:

<< >
 Dear BEtty: Welcome to iris-talk. It is good to have you with us.  One
 might note that the ladybugs try to get indoors in really cold weather.
 Lloyd Zurbrigg in Durham, NC.
Dear Lloyd:
It's good to "talk" to you again.  I' m glad to see you're on this list.  It
beats waiting on robins.

It is true that ladybugs try and often succeed in getting indoors.  Last
winter I found one crawling on the tray of my printer; however, I've not seen
more than a couple inside each year.  Pretty good when you consider I lived in
an old farm house with lap siding.  I did have a dozen or more on my front
porch.  They didn't appear to be destructive.  I did supply them with 2 acres
of irises (aphids) and a rich meal of various insects.

As a cancer survivor, I'm  a little leery of chemicals.  So many things are
carcinogenic. I was raised on a farm in Arkansas, and have little fear or
aversion to most bugs.  I was looking through the Burpee catalog and was
amazed at how much the price of ladybugs and praying mantis has gone up since
I stocked up in 1987.
Betty in Bowling Green KY