Re: Snapping vrs cutting bloomstalks

From: "Walter Moores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>

> Technique is important--grasp the stalk close to its base and push in one
> direction until it snaps naturally.

	I guess I need one-on-one instruction to get a handle on the
snapping procedure. When I tried it, some stalks broke mid-way, were
jagged, and could provide a reservoir for water to collect and then
rot.  I wound up cutting anyway.  Then, other attempts at snapping
brought up the entire bloomstalk, some showing increase at the side
of the base of the bloomstalk.

> Not to doubt the experience of others, but personally I have never seen
> increase so close to the bloom stalk as to be in danger of being broken off
> along with it.

	For those of you who have never seen increase at the base of the
bloomstalk, try brushing away some of the soil around the bloomstalk
before you snap next year.  As I said in an earlier post, five out of
the ten I snapped (incorrectly, I guess) had increase that was
revealed after I snapped the stalk.

	Jan Clark pretty well summed  up this discussion in her post

	So, I guess the end result of this discussion is that for there will
always be 'cutters and snappers.'  Maybe this has something to do
with mechanical ability or sports (as in a golf swing)?  I excel in
neither of those endeavors.  I am doomed to be a cutter forever!

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8