Re: Snapping vrs cutting bloomstalks

From: Pat Bass <bpbass@gj.net>

Patricia R. Wenham wrote:

> I guess I will get in the snapping/cutting discussion too.  I believe Jan is
> correct in the assumption that soil has some bearing upon whether you must cut or
> snap.  I had extremely sandy soil with no rocks and snapping just did not work.
> It did bring up the whole rhizome.  I tried standing on the rhizome and found
> that only caused the rhizome to break off and come up.

Hello, Patti:

I will get back into this discussion, I guess.  I lived in beautiful sandy loam,
about half way between sand and clay when we lived on the farm.  When we moved to the
city of Hutchinson, KS, my soil was heavy clay gumbo, and when we moved out of
Hutchinson we lived in pure blow sand.  I snapped bloom stalks off in all three soils
and there was no difference.  The rhizome did not come up in the sand, nor did I have
any trouble in either of the other two types of soil.  Don't know what to advise,
except it takes developing the "knack" to do it correctly.  It took me a while to
know just how to snap and get a clean break at the rhizome.  That's all I know to
tell you--hope it helps.

Pat in CO