HYB: Reciprocal Crosses

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Betty of Bowling Green wrote:

>  We have several winter months ahead.  A perfect time to plan 99 crosses.
>  Anyone want to talk hybridizing?  I would like some comments on
reciprocal
>  crosses.  I did a very small test I would be willing to share.

Only 99 crosses?  <G>  It would be interesting to hear how different
hybridizers prepare for bloom season.  IMO, winter planning is the most
important part.

As for reciprocal crosses, I make these whenever possible. It's not
possible, of course, when I use imported pollen.  Each flower can be
crossed only once but produces enough pollen to make at least three crosses
[usually more] so it's physically impossible to make a full set of
reciprocal crosses and I have to prioritize.

This could quickly become rather complicated.  Where do you want to start?

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@compuserve.com