Re: OT: K-Mart irises going cheap

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: OT: K-Mart irises going cheap
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 19:01:09 -0800

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Yep, I confess.  It's fun to buy 'mart irises.  Bought 3 bags of
semi-moribund plants this fall - each had 2 plants.  Two bags for $5.
So I have something labelled DOVER BEACH, PORTRAIT OF LARRIE, and
something else.  Last time I checked they were all doing pretty well,
tho Larrie started off with rot & death of terminal fans.  No worse than
mail order.  And if I wind up with somebody's mislabelled plants or
seedlings and they do well here, I won't mind.  I got VITAFIRE and LACY
SNOWFLAKEY at the 'mart many years ago - two of my best performers, tho
VITAFIRE has been declining with our hot dry summers the last few
years.

I believe in gardening Henry Mitchell style: read the directions, do a
lot of specialized planning & preparation, then impulse buy dying plants
at the mart & stick them any old place.  :)  Sort of like planning
crosses in the winter, then running around putting pollen on what's
actual been able to bloom in spite of the weather.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA