Re: OT: K-Mart irises going cheap

From: Cliff Snyder <snyder@eden.com>

Linda Mann wrote:

> From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
>
> Yep, I confess.  It's fun to buy 'mart irises.  Bought 3 bags of
> semi-moribund plants this fall - each had 2 plants.  Two bags for $5.
> So I have something labelled DOVER BEACH, PORTRAIT OF LARRIE, and
> something else.  Last time I checked they were all doing pretty well,
> tho Larrie started off with rot & death of terminal fans.  No worse than mail order.  And if I wind up with somebody's mislabelled plants or
> seedlings and they do well here, I won't mind.  I got VITAFIRE and SNOW
> FLURRY at the 'mart many years ago - two of my best performers, tho
> VITAFIRE has been declining with our hot dry summers the last few
> years.
>
> I believe in gardening Henry Mitchell style: read the directions, do a
> lot of specialized planning, then impulse buy dying plants at the mart.
> :)  Sort of like planning crosses in the winter, then running around
> putting pollen on what's actual been able to bloom in spite of the
> weather.
>
> Linda Mann east Tennessee USA

Linda,

This spring we will be providing a dramatic improvement in the iris
available at Central Texas Wal-Marts & Home Depots. We will begin
shipments of 14 varieties of ACCURATELY TAGGED bearded iris in 1 gallon
pots.

Cliff Snyder		Zone 8
Rainbow Iris Farm	Austin, Tx
rainbowfarms.net

P.S. I too am very guilty of buying "mart" iris and decorating our
"unknown" beds. I just hate to see them die. I've found about 75% are
labelled accurately.