Re: Iris-Talk Iris of the Millennium

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 1/6/99 10:27:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
cwalters@digitalpla.net writes:

<< I agree with you that Ii. pallida and pseudacorus and other species belong
 to the ages, and not specifically to the Second Millenium AD, and are
 therefore not really eligible for the honor in question.>>

I don't find this distinction to be very compelling and I believe that the
antiquity of the irises as well as their contemporaneity is precisely what
makes them candidates for the title, and further that these attributes are
actual and not conferred on the irises in question by extrapolation from
arbitrarily selected specifics. To hang the title of Iris of the Millennium on
any one modern cultivar strikes me as deficient in historical perspective. We
can't even get a Dykes' winner that everyone agrees on.

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com