Re: AIS: Iris of the Milennium (sic)

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

>Ellyn Shatz wrote:
>> I am writing a blurb on the Year 2000 and was wondering if an Iris of
the Milennium has been selected.  Do you know who I would contact
regarding this information?  Please email me back.
>Anybody know of anything?

Graeme Grosvenor has named an iris SYDNEY 2000, obviously for the
Olympic games (and not just for the Sydney postcode). It won 2nd place
in the 1998 Premio Firenze, and will be listed in next years catalogue.
My guess is it's a Silverado offspring, Probably Silverado X Timescape,
but don't quote me, please.
Anybody could register an iris as Millenium 3, or Year 2001, New
Millenium, etc. You would surely just have to be the first one there
with the name. The iris would be a secondary consideration.
You may find that this option gets taken up by some enterprising nursery
chain, and the said plant is one already registered under a different
name. (A train of thought stirred by the current discussions on the
hemerocallis list.)
As far as selecting the iris which has contributed the most to irisdom
in the 2nd millenium, IMHO this should be along the lines of a cultivar
or a species that has adapted happily to a wide range of environments,
or contributed in a major way to the modern day hybrids.
Cheers, Jan Clark