Re: AIS:Iris of the Millennium

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

HIPSource@aol.com wrote:

> From: HIPSource@aol.com
>
> In a message dated 1/6/99 10:27:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> cwalters@digitalpla.net writes:
>
> << I agree with you that Ii. pallida and pseudacorus and other species belong
>  to the ages, and not specifically to the Second Millenium AD, and are
>  therefore not really eligible for the honor in question.>>
>
> I don't find this distinction to be very compelling and I believe that the
> antiquity of the irises as well as their contemporaneity is precisely what
> makes them candidates for the title, and further that these attributes are
> actual and not conferred on the irises in question by extrapolation from
> arbitrarily selected specifics. To hang the title of Iris of the Millennium on
> any one modern cultivar strikes me as deficient in historical perspective. We
> can't even get a Dykes' winner that everyone agrees on.

The question that has been bouncing around in my brain cells is: Are we naming
the iris of the millenium we are in or the one to lead off the next millenium,
and is the next millenium the 2d or the 3d?

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Visit my website at:
http://members.home.net/jijones

To reply to me personally click on