From: James Brooks <hirundo@tricon.net>

Hello Iris Talk.
 I'm James Brooks from Jonesborough, Tennessee, a former iris-ler who had to
quit due to the mail volume and the start of the gardening season. That may
very well happen again, or I may just lurk.
 I've been growing and collecting iris for about 5 years on five acres of
land called the Malone Hollow Nature Center. Just finished updating my
database from the digging season and I'm growing 722 varieties, 231 of which
are historic.
 I am especially interested in varieties developed by Goos & Koenemann in
Germany, which went out of business in 1938, and it is my dream to one day
offer new G&K varieties in the U.S.
 I've developed a list of AIS award winners, with some other pages at:
which I invite you to look at. During the digging season my dues to AIS
lapsed so I missed the issues announcing the 1998 awards, other than
Conjuration, the Dykes Medal winner. Anyone with an update, I'd appreciate a
personal e-mail.
 The page also has a mystery iris which hasn't been changed since the
digging season because no one is willing to take a stab, other than to
identify it as a Siberian. Talk to me, iris talk.
 I am often asked if I am open for tours, and I'm happy to report that this
spring I hope to be able to offer tours through Times and Tales Tours in
Historic Jonesborough, which will combine the garden with several historic
sites in Jonesborough. If you're interested in coming to Tennessee's oldest
town during the bloom season (April 15 to June 1) you can contact Linda
Poland at T&T Tours at 423/753-1011 or e-mail: visitjb@tricon.net
 This mainly depends on whether between now and April I can get the county
highway department to lay a pipe in the ditch and gravel over so I can make
some parking area for a couple of vans.
 I do have a day job as a newspaper reporter, so am taking this a bit at a
time to prepare for my retirement in 5.5 more years. At that time I hope to
have one of the top historic collections in the U.S., so don't feel
disappointed if you have to put a visit off into the future. It'll just be
 Actually, I'm pretty much a newbie at growing iris, which is its own
reward, and try to keep things at the level where it remains fun and there's
a sense of mission. That's the hardest part for those of us afflicted with
Type-A personalities.
James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN