Re: HYB: McAllister 301

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: McAllister 301
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 09:16:13 -0800

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

> Guess that would be a good HYB 301 homework assignment -- determine whether
> any of your TB breeding stock has a maternal line that is traceable back to
> species.  [Assuming, of course, that no stray bit of pollen contaminated
> any cross down through the generations.]

Sharon - I look forward to trekking thru all the charting I did last
winter to look where aphylla, pallida, variegata, & reichenbachii show
up in various pedigrees.  It looks like reichenbachii (WHOLE CLOTH) is
an extremely important ancestor in cultivars that thrive in my
garden/climate & I've been wondering how that fitness gets passed
along.  I figure it could either take a careful eye to selection or that
it gets passed along as a dominant trait.  Without looking at my charts,
I can't remember off the top of my head if some were maternal and others
paternal.  But I certainly plan to look!  WHOLE CLOTH was used for so
many crosses, there ought to be a gob of cultivars from reciprocal
crosses to look at.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA