Re: Iris-Talk Iris of the Millennium

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

The cross of Snow Flurry X Chivalry produced Blue Sapphire (B.
>Schreiner '53). Blue Sapphire spent 40 continuous years on the Symposium, a
>record that has never been approached. (Stepping Out seems to have great
>'legs' and may well eventually shatter all records for popular longevity)

While I never grew Blue Sapphire, Chivalry brings back memories--it was the
first iris I purchased that was not part of a collection.  Never did to
well up in the subarctic hills of northern PA, but a real standout when it
bloomed.  Much more prolific was Blue Rythym, which I recall from a
wonderful third year clump with a dozen tall, beautifully branched stalks.

By the way Mike, I just happened to stumble over some slides I took back in
the fifties and sixties of irises I was growing then.  Must share them with
you sometime.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College