Re: OT: K-Mart irises going cheap

From: celia storey <storey@aristotle.net>

Cliff Snyder has this interesting news:
>This spring we will be providing a dramatic improvement in the iris
>available at Central Texas Wal-Marts & Home Depots. We will begin
>shipments of 14 varieties of ACCURATELY TAGGED bearded iris in 1 gallon
In Carrolton, do you think? My sister-in-law the Wal-mart fan will be
thrilled! How can she recognize your products? Will they bear your nursery
logo? Congratulations on this terrific business opportunity!

I hope you will be able to glue or staple the plant name to the pot
somehow. Tags migrate among the pots in the garden sections of these
stores. Perhaps curious shoppers pluck them out and then put them back
wrong, or perhaps disgruntled "associates" sabotage the displays. I don't
know. But I do know plant tags wander about the Wal-mart, Home Depot and
Home Quarters' nurseries.

I often wonder how people who take home, say, a cucumber seedling that's
labeled "watermelon" discover their mistake. I imagine them standing over
the poor little cucumbers, cussing and cussing them.

Little Rock, Arkansas, USDA Zone 7b
257 feet above sea level, Little Rock soils are often acid, sandy loam, rocky
average rainfall about 49 inches (more than 60" in '97, but less than 42"
in '98)
High humidity, moderate winters, hot summers; but conditions seesaw
Extreme recorded temps: HI 110 F, LO -13 F