Re: Iris-Talk Iris of the Milennium

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@digitalpla.net>

Hi Linda,

You wrote:
> Is PROGENITOR the reichenbachii F1 descendant?  If so, I'd vote for it,
> but I am admittedly biased toward fitness rather than flower.

Yes, the parentage of PROGENITOR (P. Cook, '51) is recorded as Yellow
reichenbachii X Shining Waters

For those not familiar with PROGENITOR, it was the means by which the gene
for the "dominant amoena" pattern was introduced into modern bearded iris,
which means it is in the background of all recent amoenas, neglectas,
bicolors, and "hyphenated" plicatas (amoena-plicatas, bicolor-plicatas,
neglecta-plicatas, etc.). Cook registered PROGENITOR as a "breeder's" iris;
it has apparently never been grown for its own garden merit, which is
reputedly slim to none.

Regarding WHOLE CLOTH (this refers to another of your recent posts, Linda),
PROGENITOR was on the side of the pollen parent (3 generations back). The
pod parent of WC was CAHOKIA. So the recorded path of maternal inheritance
traces back through Purissima, Argentina, and Caterina to I. cypriana - one
of the "tender" Near Eastern tetraploids. How does that fit in with your

Incidentally, both PROGENITOR and CAHOKIA are descendants of CONQUISTADOR.
The Godfather lives! (-: