Re: HYB: Reciprocal Crosses

From:	dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net (Dennis Kramb)

>From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>
>Betty of Bowling Green wrote:
>>  We have several winter months ahead.  A perfect time to plan 99 crosses.
>>  Anyone want to talk hybridizing?  I would like some comments on
>>  reciprocal crosses.  I did a very small test I would be willing to share.
>
>Only 99 crosses?  <G>  It would be interesting to hear how different
>hybridizers prepare for bloom season.  IMO, winter planning is the most
>important part.
>
>As for reciprocal crosses, I make these whenever possible. It's not
>possible, of course, when I use imported pollen.  Each flower can be
>crossed only once but produces enough pollen to make at least three crosses
>[usually more] so it's physically impossible to make a full set of
>reciprocal crosses and I have to prioritize.
>
>This could quickly become rather complicated.  Where do you want to start?

I'm a neophyte hybridizer (I only have one successful seed pod under my
belt!) but I'm not sure I understand how to do winter planning.  Let me
explain.....

I am too new at this to know what will bloom, and when.  Pretty much all
I do is wait for two nice ones to bloom and then cross (and back cross)
them together.  Furthermore, how can you be sure something will bloom??
Do you have heaps of each cultivar???

For instance, I had 3 small clumps of BEFORE THE STORM that I was ready
to hybridize with last year, but none of them bloomed!  So what few plans
I actually made before the bloom season ended up being dashed anyway.

Perhaps this left me a bit disillusioned about pre-planning?  Maybe?  I
don't know.  I'd love to hear what the rest of you do this time of year
in anticipation of the next bloom season.  At the moment I only have
vague ideas of what I want to cross.

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net
Member of AIS, ASI, HIPS, RIS, SIGNA, SLI, & Miami Valley Iris Society
(Check out my web page at http://home.fuse.net/dkramb/home.html)