Re: RE - Giraffe Kneehiz

Mike Sutton writes...

>Timescape and Tennessee gentleman rebloomed this year also. I understand why >TG did with APRIL MELODY (Gibson) in it's background but I am a little >confused as to why TIMESCAPE did. Any clues?

There is no STRONG rebloom component showing anywhere in TIMESCAPE's background.
Olympiad (Ghio 84), used in combination with a 'threshold' level of other cultivars that have a tendency to rebloom (such as Madeira Belle ), WILL tend to throw late season rebloomers. Also, Ben Hager's line is shot through and through with rebloomers and when an undocumented "Hager seedling" lurks a couple of generations back 'anything' is possible.

Bruce Filardi asked off-list if I were a thoroughbred racing fan. I am, but not in the actual racing context. Any area in which large chunks of money are involved, combined with meticulous breeding records going back more than a century, provides lessons for hobbyist breeders working in any area. A case in point, with lessons for both reblooming and aril enthusiasts is thoroughbred bloodlines' 'dosage index.' This statistical analysis attempts to predict any given horse's balance of speed versus stamina by examination of a five or six generation weighted pedigree. In iris, an analysis of an ideal balance of 'Beauty' versus 'Gardenability' immediately comes to mind. For a multi-variant trait such as rebloom one would seek maximum conservation of rebloom tendencies while retaining some degree of 'Beauty.' Of course, a definition of 'Beauty' plus the complication of tetraploidy only serves to make the game interesting!

Cheers,

Mike, mlowe@worldiris.com -- http://www.worldiris.com
South Central Virginia, USA; USDA Zone 7A