Re: HYB: Reciprocal Crosses

From: "Mike Sutton" <suttons@lightspeed.net>

I pre-plan and only end up being able to do about half of my plan.  The rest
are just for fun anyway, who knows what you can get when you close your eyes
and make a cross.  (I only recommend this if you have a lot of room for ugly
seedlings that don't grow well.)  Researching lineage and making reciprocal
crosses are necessary but in my opinion, and it's only my opinion, so is
fun.     I like to walk out in the garden and look at, for example, a space
age plicata seedling with spoons that reblooms and think..... "boy it sure
would be cool if I could cross that with a broken color iris and get a
broken color spooned rebloomer with broken color spoons", or
maybe......"what about crossing the darkest reblooming SA with a black oncer
and get a black SA that reblooms".  The anticipation of the unknown can be
so intriguing.

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net>