Re: HYB: Reciprocal Crosses

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 1/8/1999 9:16:17 AM Central Standard Time,
suttons@lightspeed.net writes:

<< The anticipation of the unknown can be
 so intriguing. >>

For me, the payoff for all that planning and work is bloom season.  Can
anything be more thrilling--even if 999 out of 1,000 are dogs--than seeing an
iris bloom that no one has ever seen before?  You never know what your going
to find.  It lends excitement to each and every bloom season.

As a rebloom enthusiast, I focused my research on rebloomers.  I spent a lot
of time pouring over various iris publications, including catalogs from other
areas.  I was interested in the full spectrum of rebloomers from the hearty
northern rebloomers to delicate California rebloomers.  Mainly, I wanted to
know what was currently reblooming where.  For several years, my personal
collection of bearded irises were the result of that research.

Another word on planning, even if you don't make any of the crosses you plan,
half the fun is in the anticipation.  My interests run more to the present and
future, rather than the past.  You become more aware of the qualities of the
plants in your area.  Don't forget the irises of friends and fellow
irisarians.  Some people are willing to share pollen.

With my reduced space, I am more than pleased that our local club maintains a
garden, containing over 300 cultivars, at the local school where we have our
shows.  The display garden also has a small collection of rebloomers, mainly
those which I donated.