Re: Iris of the Milennium

From: "Lewis,Shirlee E" <Shirlee.E.Lewis@kp.ORG>

Just to stir the pot a little.  Perhaps we whould be considering more than
one designation.  The iris for the milennium would impact the last 1000
years.  We might want to toss out ideas about the most influencial iris in
the past 100 years -- Say the Iris for the 20th Century.  That way we could
consider those broken colors, space agers and other cultivars some love to

Personally,  I think that a modern form reliable reblooming TB would be a
great choice for the Iris of the 20th Century because this is the type of
plant that is going to increase the general public's interest and cause them
to grow many more iris.

Those of us who just love the plant no matter that for the most part it has
such a short bloom period will continue to collect and grow.  Iris can only
benefit as you see it in more and more gardens blooming longer and longer.

Shirlee Lewis
Sunset Zone 23
Southern California Iris Society
Secretrary / Newsletter Editor