HYB: McAllister 301/Re: Iris-Talk Iris of the Milennium

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: HYB: McAllister 301/Re: Iris-Talk Iris of the Milennium
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 19:16:51 -0800

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Jeff Walters wrote about WHOLE CLOTH:
> So the recorded path of maternal inheritance
> traces back through Purissima, Argentina, and Caterina to I. cypriana - one
> of the "tender" Near Eastern tetraploids. How does that fit in with your
> theorizing?

Not worth a dime! :)  But it certainly matches what Ben Hager was saying
in the AIS Bulletin recently about the Mediterranean species not
necessarily being all bad genes for this climate.

What would be the relative contribution of a doubled diploid pollen
source (reichenbachii) to the tetraploid SHINING WATERS?  I don't know
how to ask what I mean...Sharon, Jeff, others, how does the diploid
tetraploid cross probably match up the chromosomes?  Would this be a
case in which the reichenbachii chromosomes could/would/might stay
paired with each other?  (did I get that right?) & thus maybe show up as
a pair of X trait, where X is fitness here, with only half a maternal
weakness?  Help?? Somebody who can see what I am trying to get at,
please translate into some kind of English.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA