Re: Iris of the Milennium

From:	dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net (Dennis Kramb)

>Just to stir the pot a little.  Perhaps we should be considering more than
>one designation.  The iris for the milennium would impact the last 1000
>years.  We might want to toss out ideas about the most influencial iris in
>the past 100 years -- Say the Iris for the 20th Century.  That way we could
>consider those broken colors, space agers and other cultivars some love to
>hate.

I finally decided to jump into this discussion.  I agree with you
completely.  Anything under consideration for a title such as "Iris of the
Milennium" ought to have withstood the test of time.  I was puzzled at the
notion of considering a particular cultivar that only came into being in
the last decade or two.

The original suggestion of I. pseudacorus seems to be the best I've heard.
This is an internationally historic iris, definitely withstanding the test
of time!

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net
Member of AIS, ASI, HIPS, RIS, SIGNA, SLI, & Miami Valley Iris Society
(Check out my web page at http://home.fuse.net/dkramb/home.html)