Re: HYB: Tetraploid Conversion/maternal inheritance?

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: Tetraploid Conversion/maternal inheritance?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 10:31:57 -0800

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Sharon McAllister wrote:
> As the amoena trait for which PROGENITOR has
> become so famous is dominant, perhaps we should be more concerned with the
> overall percentage of "northern" chromosomes instead of just the ones
> traceable to a single northern species.

I'm can't figure this out.  Does the amoena pattern come from
reichenbachii?  Did I know that already?  I thought we were tracking
maternal inheritance - how does that fit with percentages of northern
chromosomes?  Isn't the maternal inheritance 'extra'?  And here's a wild
one - if reichenbachii gets into the genetic mix via pollen, are its pod
children (here we go again, children of the pod people) capable of
producing whatever <maternal stuff is going on> of the reichenbachii
type?

As for percentage of northern species, the growth 'strategies' of the
northern species aren't all the same - for instance, based on my very
limited observations, pallida and variegata tolerate being buried in
weeds, aphylla doesn't, aphylla drops its leaves in summer drought and
heat and doesn't grow new ones till winter, when it has itsy bitsy nubs,
pallida starts flower buds earlier/faster in the spring than either
aphylla or variegata, etc.  So far, it looks like reichenbachii drops
its leaves when stressed but then produces new ones fairly quickly when
conditions improve - a strategy very well suited to my growing
conditions (boom and bust).  I can hardly wait to see how reichenbachii
handle the late winter/early spring.

Speaking of which, the line of frozen junk that we usually are right in
the middle of all winter seems to have moved north this year.

Thanks Sharon.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA