Re: Cult: soaking TBs

From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>

>There must be a lot of dead tissue on those rhizomes that can't be totally
>removed.  In my area, soaking such a TB, in this condition, for half a day
>would water log the dead tissue and spell disaster, leading to serious rot.
>couldn't get by with more than 1/2 an hour.
>Where are you located. Soaking mummified rhizomes over night works great
>here in New Mexico. That makes sense because short of the arils we don't get
>alot of rot.

	These two posts re soaking TBs (or any bearded iris rhizome) would
	also invite rot in our rain-soaked and snowy climate. Maybe in a
	drier and hotter climate, it works. I think hotter is the operative

	What I do is plant the half-dead and almost mummified rhizomes
	in a 6" raised bed and water like mad. Let it dry out and water
	every day for a few days and then stop and only give water when
	it doesn't rain (almost never in practice) until I see some new
	green growth and then stop all water (unless it falls from the
	sky) and almost never water again. Works here.

	I do, of course, soak all beardless rhizomes for at least 24

	Cheers from a snowy and cold New Hampshire,