OT-CHAT: Starship Enterprise

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

Bill Shear wrote:

> From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>
>
> Wonder how much it cost Schreiners' to use that Name....?

Interesting question. Typically trademarks are only good within a product
category, so they may not pay anything at all. So if I wanted to make a childs
paper bib and name it Kleenex I probably couldn't, but if I wanted to name a
lawnmower Kleenex, I probably could. Generally the criteria is: would the new
product confuse the consuming public about which was which.

Of course that does not mean that you would not have to defend yourself in a
very expensive court battle, which is often a good reason for licensing it anyway.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Visit my website at:
http://members.home.net/jijones

To reply to me personally click on