Re: OT-CHAT: Starship Enterprise

From: "Michael D. Greenfield" <redear@infinet.com>

John wrote:
> Interesting question. Typically trademarks are only good within a product
> category, so they may not pay anything at all. So if I wanted to make a
childs
> paper bib and name it Kleenex I probably couldn't, but if I wanted to
name a
> lawnmower Kleenex, I probably could. Generally the criteria is: would the
new
> product confuse the consuming public about which was which.
>
> Of course that does not mean that you would not have to defend yourself
in a
> very expensive court battle, which is often a good reason for licensing
it anyway.

I am not a lawyer, I run a printing press. we make boxes for a lot of
consumer products. Cereal. cake mixes. fast food items and assorted grocery
items etc. Every brand name that has a little R with a circle around it.
That means it is registered and no one else can use it for ANY commercial
purpose. If it isn't on there we have to correct it before running the job.
The word " Kleenex " its self  is registered.

Michael D. Greenfield
redear@ infinet.com