Re: HIST: HIPS page & pedigrees

Linda writes...

>Mike - I notice that the pedigree for RAMESES has some educated guesses
>as to probable parents included - that really is helpful & greatly
>appreciated! A lot of work. I need to get my printer fixed...

Do you mean: prob. Flavescens (De Candolle 1813) ?

That come straight from Mr. Sass in a published letter. He arrived at the 'prob.' by a process of elimination of what was blooming in the garden in the spring of 1907. He had a 'high degree of confidence' factor in that 'prob.'

The rest, even though not appearing in Check Lists, is gospel according to 'generally accepted authorities.' (As in the above, "Letter from Mr. Sass to Mr. Hill.")

There is unfortunately, a great deal of research on pedigrees that is not yet published. (And no, nothing whatsoever of my published pedigrees comes from 'A Half Century of Iris') [Well, one -- but it is asterisked and notated: "* McK"]

Eventually, (Hopefully!) there will be 'Stud Books' of all major hybridizers compiled and published.

[In that vein, knowledge of the whereabouts of descendents, relatives or just living friends of Orville Fay would be a pearl beyond price!]