HYB:HIST: rollercoaster freeze results for January

  • To: Iris-talk <iris-talk@onelist.com>
  • Subject: HYB:HIST: rollercoaster freeze results for January
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 18:18:06 -0800

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

I've been out taking notes on which ancestors have done what after a few
nights down to about 10oF followed by some warmer weather & a lot of
rain (low of nearly 60oF last night - supposed to be back in the teens
tonight).  We've had plenty of cold spells since October into the 20s
and a few slightly lower, but this was our first real killer weather.  I
want to take some notes all through the winter & see how winter
growth/death relates to bloom & eventual survival.  These are all in my
new rebloomer beds made of real soil in slightly raised rows & kept
watered.

ROSY WINGS - I bought this from 3 different sources throughout the
country to compare how they adapted - one from Spruce Gardens in
Nebraska, one from Superstition Gardens in California, and one from
Argyle Acres in Texas.  They vary quite a bit in size - the one that got
here first is the biggest and they stairstep down in size to the last
one that arrived.  The California one got here first, then the one from
Nebraska, then the one from Texas.  My climate is probably more like
Texas than the other locations.  So much for getting plants from
comparable climates.  All three plants look the worst of the new
historics in that bed - lots of foliar damage.  But they also grew the
most before cold weather.

Only a few dropped their summer/fall foliage & have only little nubbins
of leaves now - two clones of I. reichenbachii, TOLL GATE, and a late
planted (mid-October), small start of WHOLE CLOTH from Missouri.  I
moved  starts of CRYSTAL GLITTERS and SULTRY MOOD to these beds for
easier observation and they have similar nubbins.  LUNA MOTH and NEW
REVUE (not historics) from Tompkins have nubbins also.  TERRA ROSA
(bonus from Schreiner's last year) started growing in the last month
(??) and has no damage to its new short leaves.  Pallida, GREEN-EYED
LADY, THIRD CHARM, variegata, germanica in other locations are also down
to nubbins.

Many of the new plants in these beds have very little damage & appear to
be actively growing every chance they get: historics - BLUE RHYTHM,
SUMMER HOLIDAY, VIOLET HARMONY, NEW SNOW, SURRENDER, CAROLINE JANE,
WHOLE CLOTH.  Newer cultivars: LOU PEACH, ELECTRIQUE (Blyth), BRONZETTE
STAR, BURST, GLACIER POINT (new from Superstition), LOVER'S LANE, NOBLE
IMAGE, NIGHT GAME, VOODOO SPELL (Blyth), ROY'S CHOICE, EASTER VIGIL.

Hope this is of interest.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA