LA: SPEC: Irises for Florida.

From: "Mark A. Cook" <billc@atlantic.net>

Carasplig@aol.com wrote:

> Wow! You guys are way over my head.  I live in Florida.  I have some
>very "simple" questions about irises - such as: Can they successfully
>be grown in Central Florida? Carole - Winter Springs, Florida.

Carole,
     Welcome to Iris Talk.  It is good to see a new Florida Member among
us.  Some Irises can be grown in your area, although most of the ones
being discussed cannot.
     The Louisiana Irises will grow great in your area, as long as they
are kept fairly moist.  Also, Iris virginica and Iris pseudacorus should
do well for you too.  I have all of these types here [Marion County],
but some are in a kiddie pool that I have sunk into the ground, and the
rest are in large pots also sunk into the ground.  Iris tridentata is
showing promise being cultured like this too.
     Did you know that there is a Florida Gardening List too?  I have
lived here only since the end of September, 1997, but I will be willing
to help you get into Irises.
     What was your lowest temperature during this past week?  We were
down to 19 F.

Mark A. Cook
billc@atlantic.net
Dunnellon, Florida.  [20 miles southwest of Ocala.]