Re: Cult: soaking TBs

From: RYFigge@aol.com

  I'm sort of tired about hearing the efforts spent on store-dead irises.
Take warning from these people's experiences.  Maybe there should be an  SPCH
or SPCF - a Society for the Prevention of Cruelty  to Horticulture (or
Flowers).  This is why I don't grow house plants, because my husband used to
threaten me with the SPCF - I can't remember to water, etc.  You see, they
don't bark or meow!

 The best idea of all is to avoid those stores that sell irises and get them
from iris growers -- there are plenty of catalogs - and a bargain is not
allways - and I mean all ways - a bargain.  The price might be right, but your
time and energy cost something!.   As for soaking!  I TRY (don't always get it
done - and sometimes to my sorrow)  to soak all incoming irises in a weak
chlorox, rinse well, and if they have been "around" more than a day or so, I
also put them in Miraclgro (sp?) either overnight or 3 or 4  hours, depending
on my mood or the time I have before planting!   A lot of iris-lore is by
gosh-by golly, don't you think?  (substitute Miracid(sp?) for beardless)  This
soaking makes up for what they have lost intransit and gives them that extra
boost to start growing.

Ellen, it is good to hear from you, but how about taking your weather back --
I can stnd a little snow, but when freezing rain is added, that is too much
for me to navigate!  Rosalie nr Baltimore  zone 7     ryfigge@aol.com