HYB: Amoena Pattern / Maternal Inheritance

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Linda Mann wrote:

>  I'm can't figure this out.  Does the amoena pattern come from
>  reichenbachii?  Did I know that already?

It seems to be generally accepted that the dominant amoena pattern that
occurs in the descendants of PROGENITOR comes from reichenbachii, while the
recessive amoena pattern comes from diploids that were once given species
status but now considered a color variation of  I. variegata.  As to what
you know , all I can say is that we DID discuss it on the old IRIS-L <wry

>   I thought we were tracking
>  maternal inheritance - how does that fit with percentages of northern
>  chromosomes?

It doesn't.  The two subjects somehow got merged.

>  Isn't the maternal inheritance 'extra'?

That's a good way to think of it.  Most traits are transmitted through
chromosomal DNA.  We start looking into maternal inheritance when things
are happening in the seedling patch that aren't explainable by the usual

>   And here's a wild
>  one - if reichenbachii gets into the genetic mix via pollen, are its pod
>  children (here we go again, children of the pod people) capable of
>  producing whatever <maternal stuff is going on> of the reichenbachii
>  type?

No.  We don't know what traits might be transmitted via reichenbachii
extra-chromsomal DNA, but we DO know what PROGENITOR is capable of
producing so we don't worry about what it might carry but doesn't.

Sharon McAllister