Re: HYB: Reciprocal Crosses

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

I wrote:  > >  Is this an oops, Sharon? I can't see how stray pollen
would effect  tracing the maternal line. Mixed seeds, tags, etc. might,
but not mixed  pollen.

Then Betty wrote: >Once a seedling becomes a parent, both of it's
parents matter.

If you are tracing the maternal side, you don't need to know ANY of the
male parents. Obviously, if you are studying the inheritance both sides
are of equal interest. I can see how Sharons comment came out wrong when
she decided to shorten her message, and I misunderstood her meaning.
Actually, I thought this was an odd thing for someone as scientific as
Sharon to come out with. That's the problem with 'cutting and pasting'
on the computer. (I think I just woke up with my pedantic pants on that
morning, as I recall a similar mailing re 2nd or 3rd millenium.)
Cheers, Jan