Re: CULT: Store bought irises

From: Irisborer@aol.com

In a message dated 1/9/1999 9:21:02 PM Eastern Standard Time, RYFigge@aol.com
writes:

<<  The best idea of all is to avoid those stores that sell irises and get
them
 from iris growers -- there are plenty of catalogs - and a bargain is not
 allways - and I mean all ways - a bargain.  >>

Hi Rosalie:  Can you hear me under all this snow??

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I agree with you about supporting our
hybridizers and avoiding the chain stores.  Those of us who love this flower
need to support the folks who give of themselves to GIVE us the flower... and
who take such pains to ship correctly-labeled and healthy irises.

Last year I was asked to speak at a bulb symposium (I know, I know.... not a
bulb) at the George Eastman House in Rochester.  Also on the program was a
woman (whose name I forgot) from a large catalog company out of New York (who
I don't care to name).  ANYWAY, I was pretty intimidated about sharing a
program with high profile people...  but the others went first and I thought
I'd be OK.  During MY presentation, I encouraged people to seek out healthy
plants from their local club sales and iris growers/sellers, and to avoid the
plants in plastic bags in the chain stores.   I remarked that even IF the iris
was correctly labeled, it would certainly not benefit from the awful
treatment.

Well, the Big Catalog lady approached me afterwards and said that THEY were
the ones selling irises to the chain stores in plastic.  She said that they
buy up excess irises and sell them that way because "that's what the public
wants".  I was too polite to take it further with her, but remember the old
phrase "you get what you pay for"  as well as "buyer beware"

Now.....  for those of you interested, there are pictures of the Medieval
Garden Party sponsored by the local daylily/iris/hosta societies in a
Victorian glasshouse on a very snowy night, at:

http://www.geocities.com/~wnyhs/341/jgp2.html

Kathy Guest in
E. Aurora, NY