Re: LA: SPEC: Irises for Florida.

From: dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Mark A. Cook wrote:

> From: "Mark A. Cook" <billc@atlantic.net>
> Carasplig@aol.com wrote:
> > Wow! You guys are way over my head.  I live in Florida.  I have some
> >very "simple" questions about irises - such as: Can they successfully
> >be grown in Central Florida? Carole - Winter Springs, Florida.
> Carole,
>      Welcome to Iris Talk.  It is good to see a new Florida Member among
> us.  Some Irises can be grown in your area, although most of the ones
> being discussed cannot.
>      The Louisiana Irises will grow great in your area, as long as they
> are kept fairly moist.  Also, Iris virginica and Iris pseudacorus should

Mark, only I virginica var virginica will grow in the south US. I hope
you remember there was a discussion about this a year or 2 ago in
Iris-L. I virginica var shrevei won't grow there.

> Mark A. Cook billc@atlantic.net Dunnellon, Florida.

Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca> <- private email address
cold edge of Zone 4 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
AIS, CIS, SIGNA, IRIS-L, Canadian Wildflower Soc.

URL for the North American Native Irises web page