Re: LA: SPEC: Irises for Florida.

From: N8KXP@aol.com

In a message dated 1/10/99 11:43:01 AM, dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca writes:

<<Mark, only I virginica var virginica will grow in the south US. I hope
you remember there was a discussion about this a year or 2 ago in
Iris-L. I virginica var shrevei won't grow there.>>

Louisiana' s grow nicely in southern Florida...even grow in the wild around
Lake Okeechobee and Labelle.  Also depends on what one calls the "south US".
If Melbourne, FL. qualifies as "south US", there are other varieties that will
grow here also.  I currently have 145+ Louisiana irises growing like weeds,
blooming (and even reblooming) and plan to add about 50-60 per year.  Florida
may be better suited for LA's than Louisiana....at least Dr. Small who did
extensive work on thest irises in the 40's thought so.  There are also some
signs that some of the TB rebloomers will make it this far south.

Stay tuned!

Harry Wolford
n8kxp@aol.com
Palm Bay, Fl