Re: LA: SPEC: Irises for Florida.

From:	dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net (Dennis Kramb)

>> Mark, only I virginica var virginica will grow in the south US. I hope
>> you remember there was a discussion about this a year or 2 ago in
>> Iris-L. I virginica var shrevei won't grow there.
>     I have a couple unknown Virginicas, and I have DOTTIE'S DOUBLE, and
>var. ALBA.  So far, all look good, and have shown increase.  DOTTIES
>DOUBLE bloomed this spring.
>     I do have Iris virginica var. SHREVEI, which came from coastal
>South Carolina.  It looks good so far, but if it dies, I will let you
>all know.

Just a moment.  I thought DOTTIE'S DOUBLE *was* a form of Virginica var.
shrevei.  And if var. shrevei is found native in S. Carolina, it seems
awfully unlikely to me that it would die in Florida.  This is an intriguing

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net
Member of AIS, ASI, HIPS, RIS, SIGNA, SLI, & Miami Valley Iris Society
(Check out my web page at http://home.fuse.net/dkramb/home.html)