Re: CULT: Store bought irises

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

Kathy wrote:  >Well, the Big Catalog lady approached me afterwards and
>said that THEY were the ones selling irises to the chain stores in
>plastic.  She said that they buy up excess irises and sell them that
>way because "that's what the public wants".

Why can't they just be truthful and say because it's an easy way for a
company to make huge profits out of peoples stupidity. The local nursery
which I usually am happy to patronise, has in stock, older irises,
purchased cheap from Tempo Two, planted in large pots, with 1 or 2
increase on flowered rz's. They are trying to sell them for $12.95 each.
The same rz's can be got for way cheaper, direct from the supplier. If
you don't read garden magazine ads and don't purchace catalogues, how
can you possibly know this. The same nursery is incapable of giving
suitable care instructions, and not that much is available, re care of
iris, so the public remain misinformed (round here anyway) and the iris
remains maligned. ("They weren't what it said on the packet", "They
died, even though I gave them plenty of water", "They all turned white"
etc.)
The garden magazines dedicate heaps of space to roses. Very rarely do
they have an article on irises.
Makes me quite cross - Jan Clark, in Aus, where water is falling out of
the sky on my dry little garden.