Re: CULT: Store bought irises

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Hello Folks,

I think the direction of this thread is now on the track pertinant to iris
aficionados.  How many are on this list?  Of those, how many are members
of AIS or a section?  Did you HAVE a reliable source before joining?  Did
you know where to obtain a list of a reliable source?  If this list
contains a
thousand members, how many thousands of other gardeners are out there?
Do they have any means of obtaining a list of reliable sources?  I would
now say that those on the Internet do.  But that is so recent.  And how
many
use it to garden shop?  My point is that the marts et al, along with the
general garden catalogs have most likely been the primary source outside
of gimme irises (grandmother's, Aunt Tillie Belle's etc).  It is pointless
say these should not be purchased by those people, since they most likely
have no knowledge of another source.  It may be contingent on those that
supply these places (good luck, Cliff!) to provide accuracy and reliable
cultural information.  Also, it those suppliers to whom pressure from the
likes of this list would most likely have the greatest effect.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7, and who picked up Wal-Mart irises this very same year.  Never
did get those TB beds I prepared filled up!  I'll probably be back to
ordering too
many for the space next year.  Temptation, temptation!