Re: CULT: Store bought irises

From: BKAntique@aol.com

In a message dated 1/11/99 2:45:24 AM !!!First Boot!!!, janclarx@hotmail.com
writes:

> I think I will go and find the catalogue with all the wrong iris photo's
>  and write them a strongly worded letter urging them to live up to their
>  responsibilities, and provide the unsuspecting public with accurately
>  named plants, in good health.
>  I urge you all to make an effort to do the same, as the opportunity
>  arises.

Here's a thought/question.  If memory serves me correctly, there is a patent
system for roses and some other types of plants produced commercially.  Is
there merit to introducing a "patent system" for irises?  From the average
consumer's standpoint, would it not ensure that the cultivar being bought is
accurately named, AND registered with the AIS?  Might it demonstrate an
"authenticity" to the average catalog browser who might not know the
difference between irises "warehouses" and garden grown irises?

Or....are plant patents bogus?

Brian Thompson
Lincoln, Nebraska...where the post-snow winds are making everyone shiver...