OT: Garden Magazines

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

>The garden magazines dedicate heaps of space to roses. Very rarely do
>they have an article on irises.

Try to sell a magazine article on irises here in the States, and you get
"Oh, we did iris last year."

I did manage to peddle an article about Vesper Iris to Fine Gardening for
their Notable Plants section.  Even though Taunton published my iris book
we were not able to coordinate a feature iris article in Fine Gardening for
the book release in August/September.  "We've already had an iris article
this year."

Generally articles about specific plants are becoming a hard sell for
garden writers.  Editors seem much more interested in articles about design
or about notable individual gardens.

Seems to me though, that in order to make a design effective you need to
know how to grow the plants.  Are we throwing the baby out with the bath
water? (Or as a colleague of mine says, throwing out the baby and drinking
the bath water!)

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College