Re: CULT: soaking TBs

From: "Chris Hollinshead" <cris@netcom.ca>

Diana, in response to your questions posed in your message below; No, I did
not soak the rhizomes in a dilute bleach solution although this would
probably be a good thing to do. (and rinsing is not that critical or even
necessary especially with a weak 10% mix.)
The rhizomes that I have were not in that state at the time of purchase.
Their current condition is totally due to me leaving them from August until
now! When I got them they were in very good condition! I don't think that I
would bother to buy iris in this state purposely. I definitely would not buy
them (live or near dead) from a source such as WALLY MART or HOME DEPOT etc.
Reasons being:
1.I am very particular with regards to making sure that the plants are
correctly named.
2. in most cases these type of stores do not have the varieties that I am
looking for.
3. better quality plants and unusual varieties are available from the
specialty operation at usually lesser cost.
4. I would rather support the smaller specialty organizations/operations.

In any case, these rhizomes of mine are at this point potted up in a seed
starting mix (to promote rooting) with vermiculite added and under grow
lights and natural light. Like I said before, this is just a little
mid-winter challenge to get them going. Once they are going I will
transplant them out into the garden. (about mid-to end  of April in our

Chris. (who would walk on by the Home Depot irises, even at $0.47, and leave
them for the Home depot compost heap rather than pay to have them land on

Christopher Hollinshead
Mississauga, Ontario  Canada  zone6b
AIS(Region 16), CIS, SSI
Director-Canadian Iris Society