Re: CULT: Store bought irises

From: Cliff Snyder <snyder@eden.com>

RYFigge@aol.com wrote:
> From: RYFigge@aol.com
> Jan, that is certainly a diabolical idea!  I wonder if the irises would come> full circle and end up with their correct name???  Many years ago I, as president, asked a certain garden center if we could hold our sale there. I nearly fainted when they agreed, because they had always turned down the idea before. For a number of years they stopped selling the "carton-boxed irises" in deference to us  -- but under the younger family members, I notice they have started up again.  Maybe a word in the correct ear would help??? I doubt it, the younger generation knows-it-all and there is no sentiment for the past, I'm afraid.  Such cynicism or is it old age creeping thru with a generation gap??
      Rosalie nr Baltimore

It may come as a shock, but the vast majority of plant buyers are not
gardeners. Most simply want something pretty in their yard. They are not
interested in the names, just the color. They want to know how to plant
it and care for it. Many will not even read the tags, just plant it and
forget it. These consumers are not to be chided for their behavior, they
have other interests that you and I don't share. Nor are the retail
outlets to be held as the scapegoat for giving these customers what they
want inexpensively. Hopefully, if the grower has done his/her job right
a few buyers may be so surprised at the quality and beauty of a plant
that they pursue this interest further. Just the same, these "department
store" nurseries provide growers an outlet to reach more customers and
change their point of view.
If I had my wish EVERYONE would become fanatical about gardening (not
just iris). It is therapeutic for the soul and provides a continual
reminder of the beauty of our world. At Rainbow, we may not enjoy
knowing our plants are not appreciated by others as much as we would
like, but when our iris blooms for that customer they will, for a brief
moment, know the riches of gardening.

Cliff Snyder
Rainbow Iris Farm

P.S. If there was so much money in growing or operating a retail nursery
everyone would be doing it :)