Re: No RVP

From: "Mark, Maureen" <MARKM@tc.gc.ca>

Let's not get hung up by borders.  While recognizing that borders are
necessary, they are artificial.  I, for one, welcomed a few of the changes
in AIS policy that now allow an RVP to live outside the region.

As Sandy has already mentioned, Region 16 covers a lot of area.  However,
activities are generally held around SW Ontario.  While this is central and
the majority of members are in Ontario, it leaves people like Leroy in BC
stranded or significantly out-of-pocket.  Region 16 has long supported the
members in Alberta and BC who want to go south to get judges training etc.

Sandy and I, while not in as difficult straits as Leroy, welcome
opportunities to go to activities just south of us -- 4 hours drive instead
of 6 hours.

And as others have said, the main criteria for the RVP is that he or she be
an active member in the region and participate in national events.  In many
regions, there are not many people who fulfill these criteria and even fewer
who would accept the position of RVP.  In Region 16, this position is
difficult to fill as only a handful of people qualify.

Maureen Mark
mailto:mmark@ottawa.com
Ottawa, Canada (zone 4)